The PETA Story
The PETA story begins at Ruakura Agricultural Research Centre in Waikato,
New Zealand in the 1950’s where PETA’s inspiration Dr Doug Phillips, founded the Biophysics Group and led the group for over 30 years.
Dr Phillips was at the forefront of bloat control research in dairy cows, with his published research being quoted in numerous scientific papers around the world. He became a world-leading authority on drinking water treatment as a means of preventing bloat and common metabolic diseases.
This research and development of control methods for bloat led to the introduction of the Pluronics for bloat in the late 1950’s. Subsequently drinking water studies carried on over many years on the No. 1 Dairy Farm at Ruakura Agricultural Research Centre, led to the development of successful water treatment methods and the invention of the floating trough dispenser. This was later licensed to Peta Enterprises Ltd who have been developing and manufacturing dispensers since 1974, supplying local and overseas markets.
This water trough treatment technique, although strongly opposed in the early years by “conventional experts”, was finally accepted as the preferred method of treatment for a variety of animal diseases including bloat, magnesium and other mineral deficiencies as well as facial eczema.